Sunday, July 7, 2013

So, I Went to 80/35...

I won 80/35 festival tickets from Capital 106.3 radio station's online listener rewards program.  I figured that there was no way I was going to win, so why not? 

Well, as I said I won two 2-day passes, so I went. 

I wanted to post a blog to say that I might have been partly wrong on my previous post Music Festivals can Suck It.  I didn't have a terrible time, I actually had a blast. 

THAT being said, I still wouldn't have paid to attend with the line up, but I here is my official review!

The acts that I saw:

Kitty (Pryde, but don't call her that.  Lawsuits, apparently.) was A-DOR-ABLE!  Just really cute, seemed like she has a ton of fun.  But she kept apologizing for the songs, like she didn't like doing them.  And then she just bailed.  Like, the last song was a collaboration with another YouTube sensation rapper.  He wasn't there, so his part was prerecorded (normal) but when her part was done, she grabbed her purse and bailed.   Also, she wasn't wearing pants and kept threatening to sue people who took unflattering pictures of her butt. 

Yeasayer!  I started following the 80/35 playlist on Spotify to familiarize myself with the bands that I hadn't heard of, and I really enjoyed Yeasayer.  Live, they did not disappoint. Though, they looked a little bored.

Deerhunter! I also heard this guys on the same Spotify playlist.  They seem to really enjoy their job, and put on an excellent show. 

Wu-Tang Clan!  Let me start this by saying that I am NOT AT ALL a fan of Hip-Hop.  Just not my style.  But the Wu REALLY brought it.  They brought it, set it on the table, opened it, and consumed it with relish.  After 20 years, they really seem to still have so much fun out there. 

We also caught snippets of:

 David Byrne and St. Vincent, which was AWFUL.  I did not like them at all.  I'm not knocking their talent, but they just don't make sense and the have these weird, storytellers songs.  Eh.  Nope.

SUBliminal Chaos.  I don't know if I should call that Dubstep, but I know it should never happen again.  Also, there were hype girls.

Homemade Jamz Blues Band.  I didn't get to hear much of them, but what I did year absolutely cemented them, for me, as one of the best that I saw. 

Maxzilla Blue:  I don't like Hip-Hop.  The end.

Other rapper from Detroit.  I'm sorry, I don't remember your name.  He was quite good, but he had a song called "I Do it For the D".  He means Detroit, where he's from.  It sounds like he's doing it for the penis, though.

Le FOOD + Vendors!

I thought there was a well rounded assortment of food vendors.  I really thought that they should have offered $1 samples/bites as well as the "combo meals" that they had.   I also thought the vendors other than food were really eclectic. 

Overall:

I would consider going again, if the line up is right.  I would definitely consider going again to the free areas, since I feel that is where we spent about half the time.

Also, I would considering purchasing advance VIP tickets.  Considering all the stuff the VIPS get, it's totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment