Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fangirling

There are a few things in my life that I will totes fangirl over, and I don't care who knows it.  Frankly, if you're not passionate about things, then what are you?  You're pretty goddamn boring, that's what.

Now, I'm not the kind of person who owns bed sheets or toothbrushes bearing the name or logo of my favorite things, but you bet your sweet, luscious ass that I'm pumped that they exist.

Without further ado, the things I fangirl over:

Harry Potter.  I am a Witch.  I was 11 in 1997, which was around the time that Voldemort was coming back into power, and my letter have been overlooked.  I totally understand.  Owl Post is totally unreliable in the United States, I assume. 

Seriously, though, Harry Potter came out when I was 11, and I devoured it.  I always liked reading, but HP was really the first book I LOVED.  It allowed me an escape from the little angry, alone kid I felt like I was.  It is so well written, that as an adult I still enjoy reading it.  I try to reread the whole series every couple of years.   Such a human aspect to something incredibly magical.

I was indifferent to the movies, except PoA (because it was fucking awful) and HBP through DH parts 1 and 2 (because they were pretty fucking epic). 

If you haven't read it (especially if you've only seen the movies), I encourage you to do so. 

Marilyn Manson.  Also something I got into when I was about 11. Seriously, how relatable is Great Big White World in the depths of your depression?  How thrashable is Angel with the Scabbed Wings?  Granted MM's recent albums/activities have been cringe-worthy (read my open letter to Sir Manson here), but I will be an old woman and still magically in love with Jeordie White (and here). I don't care.

Maynard James Keenan and his various projects, especially Tool.  You really couldn't ask for a more perfect foursome of dudes.  I've seen Tool live twice, and they're incredibly tight.  Just amazing, they really care about what they put out and are by no means trying to be "rock stars" or only make money.  MJK's lyrics are amazing, and as a writer, I always find them to be important.  I've said this before, but it doesn't matter if the music is amazing if your lyrics are shit.   Tool/APC/Puscifer, they don't have this problem.  The three can be described as ethereal and atmospheric, but at the same time, completely different from one another.  They are sisters, not triplets.  (APC - Jeordie White)

Nine Inch Nails.  Yet another angry, little girl lost part of me.  I love NIN, and have been to their concert twice as well.  Love that you can be angry, but also dance to it.  No one else can make "I want to fuck you like an animal" sound sexy, or at least not appalling.   (Jeordie White has toured with NIN... you see a pattern here?)

Louis CK.  Funniest dude in the history of dudes, funny or not. Also, wins Sexiest Ginger on the Planet.

Tina Fey.  Because I AM LIZ LEMON!  Seriously, who else do you know sits around in a Snuggie, eating cheese (even though she shouldn't), and singing about the aforementioned cheese? 

Additionally, Tina Fey is a brilliant writer/comedienne who happens to be completely gorgeous and an awesome mom.  I'd marry her if she'd have me.


Welp.  That's it.  Or, at least, that's all you're getting from me this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment