Monday, March 18, 2013

My Attempt to Write Songs

I am the least musically talented person since Britney Spears opened her little Sweet Potato pie hole and spewed a shit-ton mediocrity all the fuck over America.  I can't play any instruments, and that's not for lack of trying.  My hands are too small to reach around the neck of a standard guitar.  Also, I have zero rhythm.  Regardless of my musical short comings, I have attempted to write songs.


 Not the music, just lyrics.  And let me tell you now, buddy, I'm amazing.  I also have delusions of grandeur, but I'm fantastic.  I could fix the world in song, you know, if my singing voice wasn't like swinging cats around in burlap sack. 

I have at least a thousand attempts at song lyrics in endless notebooks and napkins and computer files.  I guess you could call them "poem".  I don't.  I won't.  They are songs, like the soundtrack to myself.  Some personal, some not.  Some serious, some not.  When I was nine years old, I wanted to be Poet laureate.  Now, I want to be a Rockstar who drinks champagne and makes angsty teenagers sway in their Dr. Martens.  Yeah, those two dreams should have been reversed on the timeline of my life.  So what? 

I think when future generations look back on the great poets of today, the written word will not be the only thing considered.  They'll be reading the words of John Lennon and of Maynard James Keenan.  Music is wonderful, but the words have always been the most important thing to me.   So that is why I write lyrics.  But not music.


written to The Essential Simon and Garfunkel.

No comments:

Post a Comment