Thursday, April 4, 2013

You Refilled the Salt Shaker, and Other Tiny Declarations of Love

As you've probably already figured out, this blog is random.  Life is random, so this will be, too.

I made orecchiette with roasted chickpeas and asparagus tossed with anchovies, dill, and lemon for lunch today.  Normally the anchovies and the Parmesan give it the perfect salty bite, but it needed more today.   I noticed that the Boyfriend filled the shaker.  I'd been too lazy to do this for more than a week, taking it out of the big container in the cupboard instead.  But he filled it.  And it made me lighter-than-air happy.  Big smiley happy.   Because it's something that I normally do, and he did it.


This tiny action wasn't even a gesture, it was out of necessity.  I failed to do it, and it had to be done.  It made me think of all the little things that really stand out above the grand Say Anything gestures.  Sometimes, that's all a girl really needs.  Little things.

Like the time you read Harry Potter, because I love it so much.  Or the time you wiped the treadmill after I was done.  Or when you took the Mogs to the vet, though I know you hate doing it.  Knowing exactly how I take my coffee or what I'm going to order at Wendy's.

Love shouldn't be the $100k diamond rings I add to Home policies on a weekly basis.  Who needs that shit?  Seriously, I could put a bad ass down payment on a house and buy two cars for that insane amount of money.  I'd have to work for four years, after taxes.  Who wants that?  Even if you can afford it, it's insane.

What love should be holding open doors for each other, ordering their signature drink while they're in the restroom, and going to events that you're not really into (or really hate, thanks for BOM). 

Love is being with a person who knows you dislike shrimp, but getting a few extra because you'll snag one or two off their plate anyway.  Love is FINALLY watching Lost on Netflix, and not skipping ahead. 

It's work, but you have to see the little things.  The little things make it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment